Hunter x Hunter RP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hunter x Hunter RPLog in

A non-canon roleplay based off of the manga Hunter x Hunter

descriptionNightlife Grindlife [Training | Sora]  EmptyNightlife Grindlife [Training | Sora]

more_horiz
It was a cool summer evening. The sun gave way to the moon, trading places with the celestial body. A gentle breeze danced through the city, carrying scents of various cuisines about it. High rise buildings stood tall and looked magnificent under the light of the moon. Vibrant lights shone from the different stalls on the ground, as shopkeepers and club owners enticed tourists alike to visit. The nightlife of Yorkshun was unmatched by anything else. It was enough to leave anyone awestruck.

Roaming the streets was Shin, a tall brown-haired man. His kimono and hakama (pants) danced in the wind. With every step, the wooden sole of his geta tapped against the rough cobblestone path beneath him, creating a beautiful tapping sound similar to that of a horse galloping through the streets. His dragon sleeve was also eye catching, as various people gave it a glance. With most people dressed to impress in their nightlife attire, Shin went the simple route. There was no need for him to put up a charade. He was who he was. If the looks he was being given were of displease, then so be it. However, if there was one group that loved the way he looked, it was the shop keepers.

"Hey dragon man! Come on over! We've got the best women in the business!"
yelled a short, bald headed man. Without giving any attention to him, Shin continued to walk past him paying him no mind. His usual attire made him a prime target for shop keepers as he was easy to pick out from a crowd. This did not mean their methods worked as Shin had yet to commit to any of their words. In fact, he found it immature. His belief, the best way to attract any customer would be to make yourself stand out from the rest by the product you sell rather than annoying hollering. This was most effective against Shin when the product being sold was books. He was a bookworm. There was a large stall filled with books and books. Both vintage and current books lined the shelves of this stall. With a glimmer in his eyes, Shin made his way over. There were books about weapons to cooking recipes to different yoga positions. Catching his attention was a particular one about the art of a bow along with one of different combat techniques. Intrigued by both, Shin picked the two books up and began reading the synopsis on the back. He felt like a kid in a candy shop.

427 Words

descriptionNightlife Grindlife [Training | Sora]  EmptyRe: Nightlife Grindlife [Training | Sora]

more_horiz
"Oh, that is really cool. I want one.", a young voice would chirp as its owner flicked through the pages of an interesting book on different types of weapons used in previous wars, occasionally pausing to move a crimson lock of hair out from her eyes. It was a war that had occurred many decades ago in a far away land, and even the writer of the book had written as though it was fiction, but the details of the war itself mattered little to the young girl, who was much more intrigued by the weapons that were described, and depicted, in the pages. One was a simple sword, but curved to a much greater degree than a simple katana, with its blade almost exclusively created for slashing instead of lunging. A 'scimitar', the book called it. Reading the word a couple of times, Sora, for that was her name, tried to say the word aloud, "Sim-i-tar... what a funny word." Giggling to herself quietly, the girl would put the book back, having gained a new understanding of bladed weapons. She had been born to a blacksmith father, who had begun passing his knowledge onto her before her younger brother had been born: the catalyst for her journey away from home. While she had no doubt that her father knew of a scimitar, Sora much preferred having read and understood it by herself, without anyone judging her.

Looking up at the evening sky, Sora came to the understanding that she had, by this point, spent the majority of her day here, having wandered past the stall the previous day. Not that she had anywhere in particular to be, it was simply a passing thought, and her knowledge of weaponry had grown stronger for it, so there was no reason for her to be concerned with herself. However, her presence was beginning to be noticed by the general public. During the daytime, no one would bat an eye seeing a little girl standing in the streets with her head in a good book, but now that the sun was setting, it was becoming less socially accepted, a fact which constantly annoyed Sora, as she could never be bothered with people who thought that a certain time was to be 'past her bed time'. With the first book placed back in its respective shelf, Sora became aware of a really tall looking man standing in the same general area as she was, picking up two books, before turning them over to have a look at their blurbs. As he turned them over, Sora would walk to stand beneath him and read the titles of the books. One was about using a bow and arrow for a weapon: something Sora had never really cared much for; and the other was about combat styles. A strange mix, which caused the young girl to exclaim, "Why read a book on fighting if you plan on using a bow mister? Aren't they completely different things?"

descriptionNightlife Grindlife [Training | Sora]  EmptyRe: Nightlife Grindlife [Training | Sora]

more_horiz
Entranced by the two books, a soft spoken voice pulled Shin back into reality. Looking around, his focus shifted to that of a short girl who appeared to be in her teens. The different street light reflected off her crimson locks, giving them an almost luminescent glow. However, more intriguing than her crimson hair was the question she had asked. It was not everyday the youth of today were engaged in reading and questioning life. With a smile, Shin flipped both books to their cover and and placed them back on the stall respectively. "Both are indeed different. However, you can incorporate the different combat styles from this book and match it to the bow," Shin began to speak with a deep elegant tone. Raising his right hand and pointing his index finger at the book with a man punching the air, he continued, "Punching or striking is most effective at close combat as common sense would dictate. A bow has traditionally been used as a long range weapon. That is what it is most effective at. However, you can use the bow as effectively as a punch in close combat," Shin finished as he pulled his finger away from the book and raised both hands upwards as if holding a bow. This was met with glances from those passing by but he paid them no mind. He was in full knowledge mode.

"Imagine me shooting an arrow from here and my opponent dodging. If he sees the arrow coming, he can side step it and close the space between us by moving forward. Once he's close enough, I am limited in my movement and my bow would become useless. However, what if I imagine my bow as my fist or even imagine it is a sword? If my opponent attempts to jab me, I can dodge it and use the base of my bow to strike in close distance. It has the same blunt effect as a punch, arguably more effective if you ask me,"
Shin continued as he moved his hands through the air and attacked the air with a downward strike with his imaginary bow. To him, the bow was one of the greatest weapons ever created. It was simple yet intricate. With a base and string, one could launch an arrow at incredible speeds. A true long rang weapon. A bow in the right hands could be lethal in close combat as well. As Shin explained, it could be used to mimic different weapons. A shield to block attacks or a sword to strike someone. That was what the book based on combat aimed to teach. Adding to his earlier comment, Shin looked at the girl and pointed to his temple. "Your imagination is the greatest weapon. With it, you can adapt to any situation. You're young kid, you've got a lot to experience still," Shin said as thoughts of his foster father appeared in his mind. He had said the same words to him once and now he was passing them onto a kid he had just met. "How rude of me. I've been rambling on and you must have been awaiting a straightforward answer. My apologies." Shin added with a little bow. This was just how he was. Once he was interested in something, he could ramble on forever. It was why he was so proud of his intelligence.

992 Words

more_horiz
For the first time in her, albeit rather short, life, Sora was completely taken by the man, listening to every word he spoke as he began to educate her in the fine art of using a bow, arguably the only type of weapon that the young girl had yet to properly use in battle. Of course there were many more, such as the scimitar that she had only learned the existence of moments ago, but she had made and sparred with blades, spears, axes, and most other melee weapons, to the extent that she knew the best way to use a weapon given its shape and design. As such, despite having never held one before, Sora was confident that she could effectively wield a scimitar. A bow on the other hand, that was a completely different weapon, unlike any other that existed, and it seemed like it was something of a favourite of the tall, well built man before her. He looked like a fighter after all.

Choosing not to interrupt, Sora watched intently as his arms moved through the air, understanding his motions as he wielded the imaginary bow in an effective manner, using it in ways Sora hadn't thought of. Using the 'bow', the man pretended to avoid a close ranged attack from an opponent, before using the bow itself to attack, wielding it almost like a two handed staff to deal blunt damage to his would-be attacker. The man seemed to believe that bows could be used to mimic other weapons for varying purposes, almost like a singular, universal weapon. Jack of all trades, master of none as it were. He finished his lecture by stating that it all came down to the user's imagination, and that the bow could be used in a multitude of ways, and it all came down to experience, something he pointed out Sora seemed to be lacking. Pondering his words for a moment, Sora decided not to lash out and get angry for being reminded of her age, something she usually disliked. She liked this stranger, with his dragon tattoo and unusual clothing choices. He was different from the usual populace, he knew things that most people wouldn't, interesting things. As he apologised for rambling on, Sora looked up at him, a wide grin on her face as she spoke. "I like you, mister. Do you have a bow? I'd love to see one actually used in combat, it always makes for a much easier learning experience to do it hands on. And while I'll admit I've never actually used a bow and arrow in my life, it'd be a good skill to learn. It's like you said, there's a lot I've yet to experience, why not tick some things off that list?" It was a strange proposal for a fifteen year old girl to make to an adult man, effectively for him to train her, but it was difficult enough to find a teacher, let alone someone who actually knew what they were doing.

more_horiz
Shin was taken aback by the girls sudden interest in the art of the bow. It was not everyday a little girl's interests aligned with that of an adult man. However, there was a problem in what she had asked of Shin. "I'm afraid I do not own a bow," Shin replied as he shook his head. Truth be told, he had always planned on purchasing a bow and arrow. The problem was the cost of obtaining such a weapon. It had to be made from a strong material, able to withstand constant use, able to perform constantly without fail, and much more. As a result, Shin had not yet been able to acquire the appropriate funds. Looking at the girl, he noticed her wide grin. She was excited to learn of the art of the bow. Her expression tugged at Shin's heart strings. He had never expected to be in this situation. With his quick thinking, Shin thought of a solution that hopefully the girl could agree to. "Although I do not own a bow, there is an archery range not too far from here. It does not close for another three hours. If you would not mind, I can teach you the basics there. Don't worry about the fee, I can cover it," Shin proposed. If the girl was to reject his offer, Shin would still head for the archery range. The girl had lit a fire under Shin and the only way he could douse it would be with a few rounds with a bow.

The archery range here in Yorkshun was quite amazing. It was an outdoor range, with various targets placed throughout a forest. Shin had visited many times in the past and enjoyed the company of mother nature while he practiced his archery. The bows were made of a decent material which allowed made the experience that much greater. Thinking of the archery range, Shin bore a wide smile entranced in his own thoughts. Exchanging goodbyes with the shopkeeper, he turned to the girl and awaited her answer.

1,340 Words

more_horiz
It seemed that, much to Sora's own surprise, the man didn't actually own a bow and arrow. It was indeed a weird thing to hear, especially considering how well versed he had been in explaining how best to use one in combat. It was likely that he, in a similar way to Sora's own blacksmithing experience, had a past concerned with using bows and arrows, but had currently not yet purchased one for himself. He quickly thought of a way to get over that little hiccup by suggesting an alternative for them. Yorkshun was a massive city, so it made sense that it would have most of what a normal person could think of, which included an archery range that apparently wasn't too far away from their current location. Ignoring the social anxieties around a little girl going off with an older man to somewhere she had never been before that happened to be perfect for the activity they both wished to partake in, Sora giggled before speaking, "Hehehe, okay mister, let's go." It would take a few moments for the man to say his farewells to the shopkeeper before they both headed off to the archery range, all the while Sora thought about her own past, occasionally speaking to her new friend if he were to ask any questions.

Bows and arrows, they were the only weapon that the crimson haired girl had never had any experience with, and yet in one of her first outings by herself in Yorkshun after leaving home, she had managed to find herself a master, or at least, someone that knew a fair amount to be more than a simple fighter. Being the child of a village blacksmith, Sora had often trained with the weapons her father had created, to test out their durability and make sure they were up to par with the rest of the creations. Despite having had fun with it to begin with, Sora had soon gained some ability with all the weapons her father would give her, becoming adept in all steel creations. However, bows were rarely made from steel, instead opting for more flexible materials such as certain woods. Swords, spears, even great big axes and dagger, Sora had wielded them all with at least some mastery, but never a bow. As the two would reach their location, the young girl would smile up at the man and speak once more, "By the way mister, my name's Sora, what's yours? Also how much is this going to be?"

more_horiz
With a giggle, the girl agreed to his proposal. Smiling, the two proceeded towards the archery range. The walk to the range was rather uneventful. Neither person talked, instead choosing to keep things quiet. Within ten minutes, the two reached the entrance of the archery range. The entrance was a large wooden gate with a bullseye for the sign. As expected, the time of day resulted in the range being empty except for the shopkeeper of course. As the girl posed a question, Shin focused his attention to her smile. Instead of referring to her as a little girl, he now had a name to call her by. It was only common courtesy he did the same. "The name is Shin and like I said, don't worry about the fee," Shin replied with a smile of his own. It wasn't going to be cheap by any means but the experience was well worth it. Without further ado, the two entered the range through the gate.

The scenery almost changed completely. Replacing the buildings that surrounded the two earlier, there were now trees among trees. Grass lined their feet as different critters roamed about. From afar, birds could be heard chirping and singing. It was as if the two had entered a different reality. The different trees each had a bullseye hung onto it with several piercings from arrows. "Welcome," said a voice to their left. Sitting atop a stool was an old bald-headed man with a scruffy beard. Behind him were several bows made from various types of wood. They ranged in size from small to large. Walking over to the man, Shin placed his right hand atop the table and began to speak to the man. "Two bows, one for me and for her. Four quivers of arrows, two each. She's also going to need a yugake. Place this on my tab." With a nod of his head, the man returned with two pairs of gloves for Sora, allowing her to choose the one for her dominant arm. "The glove is meant to protect your hand and arm from the power of the bow when retracting the bowstring," Shin explained as he grabbed a bow from the shelf. Examining the bow, Shin was pleased with it and grabbed his first quiver, equipped with twenty-four arrows. With everything in hand, Shin proceeded to walk towards the point from where he would begin to shoot.

He stood about fifty feet from his first target. Standing with his feet shoulder width apart, he faced the target with the left side of his body. Grasping an arrow from his quiver, he turned his bow horizontal and placed the arrow atop the arrow rest. Flipping the arrow vertically, he retracted the bowstring with the arrow in the nocking point. Holding the bow up with his left hand, he retracted the bowstring with his right hand so the bowstring was brushing against his nose and lips while his right hand was up against his chin. Looking down the sight with his dominant eye, he took a deep breath as if everything around him slowed down. With his eyes set on the target, he let go of his right hand, allowing it to drift backwards ever so slightly as the arrow shot forward at an incredible speed. With a blink of an eye, the arrow pierced the second red ring, which would give him seven points if it were a real competition. With a click of his tongue, Shin rested the bow as he brought it down and looked in the direction of Sora. To be honest, he had forgotten about her till now. "Just a little rusty."

1,957 Words

more_horiz
Despite not having talked throughout the entire journey from the main streets of Yorkshun city to the archery range, Sora had decided that this man meant her no harm, and that he was a decent guy, relatively speaking of course. As she introduced herself, he would return the favour, stating that his name was Shin as well as saying he would cover the entrance fee as well as the hiring of the required equipment, which was very kind of him for a stranger. Whether it was simply because he was a nice guy, or perhaps because of Sora's infantile cuteness -a trait that many succumbed too and one that Sora often used to her utmost ability- it mattered little, as they entered the range, and their scenery took a dramatic turn for the natural.

If teleportation was a common method of transport, Sora would've sworn that she had just journeyed from Yorkshun to a nearby forest. The buildings of the city was completely hidden by great trees, upon some of which sat targets, at varying ranges, no doubt worth a varying degree of points, with arrows already having met the targets from other users of the range. Almost no noise from the city made its way through the trees, and instead the sound of birds comforted Sora's ears, as she had not yet fully adapted to the city life, preferring the rurality of her village, which had been close to some woods. She felt more at home now than she had for the past few weeks, and it felt fantastic.

Having been completely entranced by the location, Sora had not noticed the second man beside her and Shin, no doubt the owner of the range, who welcomed them both before offering them bows that lined the wall behind him. He looked a kindly man, and his bows were clearly of high quality, Sora could tell that simply from looking at them, Shin greeted the man before telling him what they would both be requiring for their session. Two bows, four quivers, and a yugake, whatever that was, for Sora. It was a foreign word, but as the man fetched the items she became aware of its purpose. A yugake was a strange type of glove, only needed on one hand, which covered much of the wrist and some of the arm. Shin's explanation was useful, but as he finished Sora had already worked out its purpose, taking the glove that would fit on her right hand, as she was left handed. With a much smaller bow than that of Shin, and yet the same twenty-four arrows in each of the quivers, Sora walked over to the firing line, and readied herself.

She knew the rough idea of how to use a bow, but she had yet to actually put it into practice, so she copied much of what Shin was doing, yet with less finesse, and reversed due to having a different dominant arm. Facing the targets with her right side, Sora, eventually, nocked her first arrow, and held the bow up with her right hand, pulling the string back with her left, and focussing on what she could see in front of her. Retracting the bowstring to its maximum, Sora then let the pressure relax, now having a better idea of how to work the bow, and her position when readying herself to fire. At that moment, she heard Shin's arrow loose, and followed it with her eyes to see it land on the target, a very accurate shot, despite not hitting the bulls-eye, but apparently it was because he was simply a little out of practice. Smiling, Sora would then repeat her previous stance, but this time she would take a deep breath and release the string, watching the arrow fly straight towards the target. Unfortunately, she hadn't aimed it properly before firing, and hadn't accounted for the force of gravity, which caused the arrow to imbed itself in the tree trunk just below the target. "Not bad for a first shot right? A few more and I'll hit that bulls-eye." It was true, Sora had practiced with throwing knives or varying sizes before, so her hand-eye coordination was much better than most her age, as was her aim. She just needed to improve on her handling of a bow.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
power_settings_newLogin to reply